I wrote this to elaborate on a recent Life Lessons With Dr. Gee Facebook post:
What unresolved issue…what untamed thought…what undisciplined habit..what unhealthy relationship…is stealing your peace and impeding your success? You cannot move forward without 1st addressing what is dragging you down. #Geeisms
So many of us assume that there is no rhyme-or-reason to success…or failure, for that matter. This is precisely why so many put far too little energy into striving for success: they either feel success has eluded them, or, they assume that it is all a matter of chance and no amount of planning and preparing will help success to come.
Both scenarios are wrong.
I don’t suggest that success is accomplished by merely snapping one’s fingers. However, some of the crucial decisions that are necessary for removing impediments to our success can be (not always…some require professional assistance) changed with a decision to do better. I have offered enough family counseling in my career to know that certain issues require therapy… and lots of it at times. However, I have spent enough time with people to know most of us are not in need of intensive psychotherapy…we’re in need of a good old fashioned wake-up call instead. Therapy may be necessary for understanding the root issues of our souls…however, most people don’t need therapy to choose to: tell the truth; keep their hands to ourselves; push back from the table when we’ve eaten enough; respect our loved ones; honor authority; treat people the way we want to be treated.
It can really be that simple, folks.
Don’t become enslaved to your impulses; your sordid past; your fears and insecurities. You have options. Talk with someone. Pray to God for help. Become a part of a support group. Limit your access to negative outlets (get rid of internet, don’t drink alone, get sponsors and accountability partners, get filters on your computer, get a payee for your bills, join a health club, find a church…do something.
Honestly…before we can really tackle 2018, we have to wrestle with what went wrong with the 2017 plan. If we don’t, we’ll either tell ourselves the 2018 version of the 2017 lie or we’ll allow the same distractions to control this year’s life and dreams. So take a moment. Take one step backwards in order to take two long strides forward. What happened? Where did we compromise our dreams in 2017? What deal did we make with our undisciplined self that has cost us confidence in our ability to accomplish dreams?
Here are a few steps backwards that’ll prepare you to move ahead in 2018:
Assess your most recent goals:
- Were the goals realistic?
- Were the goals measurable?
- Who were you accountable to?
- What were your stated rewards? Stated fine for not reaching goals?
- Was it your own goal or a goal that someone said you should have?
Assess your hunger for your new goals:
- What are you willing to sacrifice in order to attain your goals (TV time, Social Network time, money, weekends, early mornings, being alone, excuses, etc.)
- Who can you trust to hold you accountable to your goals?
- What information are you willing to gather to help you stick to your goals (cook books, internet sites, library books, workshops & seminars, interviews, support groups, etc.)
Assess your commitment to the process:
- Assess progress and make necessary adjustments
- Reward yourself handsomely for meeting goals
- Have tough stipulations for unattained goals
- Celebrate even small successes
- Give yourself NO excuses for laziness or procrastination. If this is your goal, don’t allow your excuses to undermine your
Remember this rule about momentum: A moving object is hard to stop. A stopped object is hard to move. Momentum is a very serious matter and it will only take you as seriously as you take yourself. The longer you stay where you are…the harder it will be to gain any motion. The longer you move…the harder it will be to stop you. What do you want to do? Get going.
My great passion in life is seeing people obtain their passions. Get out of your own way!!